Sunday, July 1, 2012

Sunday Update

10:00pm Sunday

We just got back home from visiting this weekend.  I hope no one is assuming that a delay in updates means something has gone wrong, on the contrary, it is more likely everything is going well.  If we need prayers, we will definitely ask for them.  They seem to have helped thus far. 

Meg has been pretty busy with visitors, which I think has helped her pass the time a little easier.  Uncle Greg was up yesterday in addition to Kaleb and my family.  Today, Uncle Barney, Katrina, Jamie, Kristen, Eden, Emma, Evie, Kaleb, Matt, Mom, Jim, us all spent some time with her.  We have learned to try and keep an eye on her energy levels, because she will try to entertain until she is literally falling asleep.  A couple times a day everyone leaves for a couple hours to give her and Matt some time alone to do some snoozing.  It looks like tomorrow will be another busy day and Meg is excited to get to see some friends (instead of all family). 

I am not sure if the nurses find it humourus or annoying, but it seems like that Meghan is the only room with a continuous group of visitors.  We even had a laugh today because when she gets up to talk her walks, she has a small posse following. 

Meg's room is full of flowers from people sending their wishes, and your e-cards are all being delivered. On a side note, if you happen to visit, the world's most pleasant women sits at the front desk when you walk in. You'll know her by her huge smile. She also prints and delivers the e-cards.  I meant to take a picture of her with the cards, but time got away from me.

Today was a little more stressful for Meg I think and she was in a little more pain, but everything has been looking very good in terms of recovery and progress.  She was drinking more and actually added some Green Tea.  Tonight, she was supposed to get started on Jello and the doctor said today he is shooting for a Wednesday discharge, but that depends on how well she processes the food and her pain levels I expect.  He has also given his blessing on her riding to the airport to drop Matt off on Friday, which surely will be a tough time for both of them. 

Here is a picture of Eden and Jack playing in the lobby on the floor Meghan is on.  The hospital she is at is beautiful and extremely convenient for patients and visitors.  Obviously, no one wants to be in there and it isn't exactly enjoyable, but it never hurts for the place to be super nice!  If anyone stumbles upon this page later researching FAP, we would strongly recommend this place based on everything so far.  It is defiinitely comfortable and I think you'll find that the caliber of surgery is pretty high. 

7 comments:

  1. maybe ..just maybe I have figured out how to do this finally. I will write a short note just to see. As Kalen said meg is doing extremely well. In fact she was able to raise her lower leg and scratch it tonight without thinking. May seem like a minor feat but 2 days ago Matt and I had to help lift her legs while she "winced" though it as we put her anti-embolism wraps on. They are automatic wraps that help keep her blood flowing and not clotting while lying in bed for extended periods. She has done so good with being up and moving around that she only needs to use them at night now. It was nice to see her walking tonight, laughing and concentrating on what Kaleb was saying without focusing on the pain. I think it make be safe in a few days to make her laugh and yelp a little at the same time. Things are going well though and she did enjoy the company, especially the kids. Although Jack and Eden are just a little too young yet to coop up in a hospital room with so many cool buttons. Grandma enjoyed seeing them too but I don't think Trisha or Kristen felt like they got to visit much. Tomorrow I am pretty sure that the teaching will begin for her diet in prepartion of her discharge plus she gets to lose one of her medical devices. Each one they get rid of brings her closer to where she was a few days ago. She is begining to look like the same girl that walked in her on Thursday am. But I have to admit that she regressed a little for awhile b/c the loss of her splint "blankie" or little "green button" that was attached to her pain pump would cause a look of fear and distress any 1yrs would be proud of.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ok that part was a little long but it did work finally! but the point I wanted to make before is that if Meg didn't have that splint blanket or button in her hand she was really stressed about the pain and tonight when we went for our walk she got up by herself and was ready to go before pushing the button and completly forgot about the splint blanket until I pointed that fact out after we had walked quite a ways. She has been a really good sport about doing the things that will help her even though there has been quite alot of pain involved in them. Right now her and Matt are sleeping side by side and it would be cute if she wasn't in a hospital bed with all the stuff attached to her and he wasn't trying to cram his large frame into a pretty small recliner. I think sometimes they sneak and hold hands through the siderails and of course its also romantic that the newlyweds get to share the room with me. I would take a pic but I am afraid of waking them. I will also try to do a little better job on updates now but I am really glad Kalen has been doing the best he can in that area.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so happy to hear of Meg's progress and we will continue to keep her in prayer. I think that it helps to have strong support from family and that she she surely does! Love and prayer, conquers all.Love to all ~ Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  4. god bless you all and we will continue to keep u and your family in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well we are now at day 4 post-op and Meg has been too busy to do much on here. Soooo guess who is still awake at 1am and trying to fill everyone in. Of course MOM. Thank God he created us to do these kinds of things when the rest of the world is sleeping. Meg progressed and got rid of her urinary cath today and hasn't had any problem since the removal..some do. Although she tries the same game with me that Emma does before we go on a trip when I tell her to go try and use the bathroom. Only this time I am saying "go and try before we walk" and like Emma ..Meg says"I don't have to" of course I tell her try anyways and just like Emma I am right and get to say "I told you so"
    We do have a little problem with keeping her hydrated still and that may delay the discharge date. Meg is kind of bumming because she may get to ride with someone to see Matt off. So please keep that in your prayers. Meg is drinking and eating as much as she can and they are keeping the IV fluids running but her output is greater than her input. Also means that her potassium is low so she has had some of that and it burns going in. But all in all things are stable. I was hoping that we would get some dietary education and some other information to use once we get home but I guess that isn't happening until tomorrow.
    One good note is that a really inventive nurse came up with a solution for keeping her JP tube dry. The hole was just a little too big and even with mounds of dressing on it, it would seep through which made moving around a major feat. Anyway the problem seems solved and which is great because she is in and out of bed more frequently now. This is the same nurse who is going to give us education for when we get home and I was please to see how knowledgeble she was about the issues Meg will have to deal with. She assured us that if Meg's life will return to normal and even told us about a young boy who with the help of his mother created a device that allowed him to continue waterboarding. Looking forward to hearing the details.
    I think Meg has a good evening..not sure though because I took off to Wbg to get a shower..sleeping arrangements are pretty good here but showering has been a bit difficut and I manage about 1 every other day. Boy will I appreciate being home with its conviences. I know Kalen ..I probably spelled that wrong. And should I have used spelt instead of spelled and don't tell me spelt isn't a word..it's just as good a word as youse, youngs, and youall.
    But back to meg I think she had a good night because lots of good company again and with presents to boot. If she keeps getting treated like this she may not want to go home. All in all 4 days down and better ones ahead. gnight

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just read my comment and as tired as I am I had better clarify a mistake I made or I will be in Big trouble I am sure. I meant to say that Meg is bumming because she may NOT get to see Matt off at the airport if her discharge is delayed. Guess next time I will use that edit button before I hit publish.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So happy to hear you are doing well Meg! You're in our prayer! Love you guys

    ReplyDelete