Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Quick Update!

Hey hey.. I promise to keep this one shorter than my last post. In part to maintain the sanity of all the readers, and also because sooner or later this "fatigue" side effect is catching up with me. lol. I can't see any more fitting way to begin this entry other than to say thank you. The prayers, thoughts, and acts of kindness have been tremendous. I have already told so many people today that it simply amazes me how quickly our town, which appears so small, can truly draw together and make such an amazing impact. I know my family continues to tell me there are requests made daily to see how you all can help. There are thoughts for a fundraiser in the works, and I am sure we will all communicate those to you all once we have some more concrete details to see if anyone would be interested in volunteering in anyway. In addition to our town of Ridgway pulling together, I also have to give kudos to the support we are receiving from our family and friends in Indiana. Matt's dad came in for the weekend, and certainly did his part in my recovery by fattening me up with gaucamole, lobster bisque, and delectable lemon cake. lol. By the time he left, he had me back up to 124! I never thought I'd see the day where I was bragging about gaining weight, let alone broadcasting it on the internet, however, it's quite an accomplishment from where I was at 110, and there will be a day that I won't be able to eat all those yummy things without feeling guilty, so I will relish in it for now. hah.

Next, I am so glad Kalen updated you all on what truly has been going on behind the scenes lately. Up until this point I have been very guarded about what has been known. However, after seeing all the love and support that has come pouring out from you all, I have realized we cannot receive the help you are all so willing to offer unless we open up and allow it. In addition to that, I know what a foreign concept this disease was to my family and I, and what difficulties we had finding answers on it, that I have decided if I can do anything to help another person, young or old, in my situation at all, I would like to embrace it whole heartedly, and that too requires me being open. If after reading his update, you have any questions- please feel free to ask. We usually do pretty good getting back to people, at least in a few days. :)

I started my first round of chemo treatments on Monday. What it basically consists of is sitting in a chair at Johns Hopkins for two hours hooked up to a pump- then after that I am hooked up to an IV that I take home with a very fashionable fanny pack (hence the sarcasm...lol) that continues to give me medicine for another 46 hours, and then a home health nurse comes in and unhooks me, and I am pumps/IVs/etc. free for about another 12 days! So far, so good with the first treatment.. I haven't (knock on wood) experienced any MAJOR side effects yet- so we are hoping that keeps up. One down, eleven more to go! Which leads me into my other major news. Yesterday Matt and I went out and about grocery shopping (quite a feat even on a good day..let alone a day carting a pump around as well..lol) and came home to a package on the front porch! Yes, I am completely like a little kid, packages still excite me, especially when they are packages that don't contain medical supplies! This particular package was from a group of ladies, and a few men (Andy and Bussard, I'm sure you were involved as well.lol) that hold a very fond place in my heart. Fox Township and Bennets Valley Elementary pulled together to send Matt and I a care package, and a very generous donation to help off set the costs we are incurring. But the most important part of the package was a home made chemo blanket!! This hit right at my heart, because on Monday, I was telling everyone how nice it would be to have my own blanket/pillow to take with me, to make the whole experience a little less "cold/clinical" and a little more of my own environment. Way to read my mind Fox and BV. I will have to upload a pic soon... it's amazingly comfy, and of course very chic! :) Many thanks to you all..you are all amazing.

Finally..I have to give some credit to my husband. I have not been much help in the kitchen lately, and he has completely picked up the slack, making amazing meals (even salmon on the grill on Monday!) as well as bringing me home flowers, and just in general, being patient and  putting up with me. It is such a blessing to have an amazing husband as part of my support team as well.

This should be a big weekend! I am hoping to continue feeling well, and my step-dad Jim, as well as my brother Kaleb are coming to visit. I can't wait, missing them both and it'll be good to see their faces again! Not to mention Matt will finally get his truck that he has been waiting for..you know boys and their toys, gotta have them. lol Also, it is mom's birthday, so we are hoping to cook a good dinner for everyone and enjoy some good company, and get away from all this "mess" for awhile.

As always, thank you for the continued love, support and prayers. Hope everyone has a great day!

Meghan

No comments:

Post a Comment