Friday, February 1, 2013

Final Chemo Day!

So it's quickly approaching..my last chemo treatment! I am scheduled for #12 on Monday, and I can't wait to get it over with!! Although we will probably be pretty tired after staying up for the Super Bowl Sunday. :) As nice as my nurses have been throughout all this, it'll be great to not have to see them again!! I know I have been asking you all for prayers throughout this journey, but I'd like to ask you if you have a spare moment this weekend, or Monday to send up a prayer specifically for the last treatment to go uneventfully- AND for my blood work to show that the cancer has taken a hike and is out of my system. It would really mean a lot to me, thank you!

After Monday, we have a pretty calm month- which I intend to spend the whole month celebrating..there are two major events, chemo is over and my birthday is at the end of the month. What more of a an excuse could a girl want?! Other than celebrating, we also have a few medical events coming up this month. On the 13th, we meet with the genetics doctor again, Dr. Giardiello, again to go over the results of the gene test. Matt and I met with him last month so he could basically go over all the specifics related to FAP, the genetic disease they suspect I have, and to do blood tests to identify the specific mutation within my genes. Then, on the 20th we will travel back up to Pittsburgh to meet with Dr. Medich at UPMC to see if all is a go for my next surgery. To be honest, I was somewhat putting off posting about this, merely because I didn't want to get ahead of myself and jinx any hopes of the surgery being able to take place. But after a lot of thought, I realized it has been all the love, support, and prayers from all of you that have got me this far in my journey, so how could it not make sense to include you all in this event, in a time that I can definitely use all the prayers and support! Dr. Medich will run a few tests, make sure everything has recovered from the last surgery and chemo, and then if all looks well we will be scheduled to see him again March 7th for surgery. This surgery *should* be a lot less uneventful, and a good bit less recovery than the last one. Although, as anyone in my family can tell you, for some reason when it comes to hospitals/surgeries, I seem to like to stick around a few extra days, so I am hoping that is not the case with this one! Regardless, whatever recovery may entail, my goal is to be recovered and well enough to see all of you at the Team Meghan benefit on the 31st.

I hope all is well with all of you. As always, thank you for all of your continued love, support, and prayers- keep them coming!! We could not do any of this without all of you..


Just wanted to share this- It's a scripture that has been really helpful for me to remember during this trial, and really it can apply to all of us with the many things life throws at us. :)

1 comment:

  1. Meghan,

    Congratulations on getting through one of the toughest battles of your life, but probably not your last. You have completed an endurance event that would make the toughest athletes cringe, which is especially impressive because you used to be the type of person who might take another trip around the parking lot to get a closer spot!

    I always encourage you to live in the present, and not worry about the future, but today I suggest you reflect back on what you have been through. You'll have plenty of hurdles ahead, some related to your new found health, some totally unrelated. All will require fortitude and toughness, which you have demonstrated are now part of your tool kit!

    Get through this last treatment and enjoy a couple days. Great work!

    -Kalen

    ReplyDelete